- BEST SELLERS
- OTHER PRODUCTS
You are hereBack to top
By offering consignment options, Herringbone Books is able to provide support for more of the self-published and local writing community than we would be able to through direct purchase of books. Consignment allows authors to display their work in the store and reach out to the reading community. Depending on the record of sales, some consignment titles may be elligible for direct purchase in the future.
A copy of our consigment agreement is shown below. In general, conditions of our acceptance to stock consignment titles includes:
- Herringbone Books agrees to display consignment titles for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 12 months without sales
- Upon sale, we pay 60% of the retail price to consignment suppliers
- Authors may pick up unsold books at any time - doing so, closes the consignment agreement, and payment for any sold books will be mailed with our next billing cycle to the address on file
- Herringbone Books is bound to payment only for copies sold in the store (identified by our electronic inventory system), and does take responsibility for damaged or stolen items
- Herringbone Books is generally unable to carry spiral-bound books, and with the exception of certain childrens books we generally require a binding with the title and author displayed on the spine
THE REALITIES OF CONSIGNMENT
Achieving success with self-published titles of any kind is not an easy task. Simply placing your book on the shelves of booksellers will not likely generate any sales for you. Promotion of your title falls to you, the author, and requires tremendous effort. We recommend you do all of the following:
- Talk up your book with friends, family, and people you meet, and let them know it is available for purchase at Herringbone Books
- Use social media to generate awareness and interest in your book, and general knowledge of the books availability at Herringbone Books
- Contact local media to provide them with a review copy, request coverage of its release, and inform them of the books availability at Herringbone Books
- Get word to local book clubs and let them know of your availability to attend if your book is chosen, and inform them it can be purchased at Herringbone Books
- Contact libraries in the area about putting a copy of your book on their shelves and make yourself available for presentations
- If your book has a relevance to specific community organizations contact them to express your availibility for speaking and announce the books availability at Herringbone Books
This year marks the thirtieth anniversary of the Where’s Waldo? books. Martin Handford’s collections of crowd scenes swept the world in the late eighties, and since then have held a cherished spot on bookstore shelves the world over. There are now over 67 million Waldo books in print worldwide, and they’ve been translated into over thirty languages. An entire generation has grown up searching for Waldo and his cast of wandering companions.
To celebrate such a special milestone, Waldo, Waldo’s friend Wenda, and his trusty dog Woof will all be hiding in Herringbone Books for the entire month of July! Find all three characters to be entered into a grand-prize drawing that will take place during our Waldo party July 29th, with the top prize being a six-volume deluxe set of Waldo books!